October 03, 2012

Is That A Fibrous Stalk of Peritoneal Tissue Attached To Your Cecum, Or Are You Just Pleased To See Me?

So today I discovered that I have a congenital intestinal defect as a namesake: Ladd's bands. They form at birth but can apparently go catastrophically unnoticed until middle-age, when all of a sudden they just start getting in the way of your duodenum and you get pretty sick.

Which is terrible.

What is awesome, however, in my trademark insensitive postmodern kind of way, is that they are also known as THE BANDS OF LADD. i.e. The item being quested after in a really pulpy fantasy novel, and/or a really entertaining televised talent show similar to America's Best Dance Crew (only really entertaining, natch), and/or a nomadic, paganistic people who travel the countryside looking for copies of my novel.

The Bands of Ladd.

I also found out that there's a section of the intestine called the jejunum, and was going to make an insufferable high-brow pun about how that was kind of unsophisticated and dull — but then I looked it up and realised that jejunum and the adjective jejune really do come from the same root. Which is almost bizarre as a piece of anatomy called Ladd's bands.

I don't really have a larger point I'm trying to make today, I just thought I'd loosely pull together a few pieces of vaguely interesting trivial shit. KIND OF LIKE YOUR INTESTINES.

[Fin.]

N.B. Best not to ask why I was reading so much about the intestinal system today.

No comments:

Post a Comment