June 05, 2010

Is That Something Ballerinas Wear?

I woke up today to discover that someone had left a comment on this blog entry from almost five years ago, in which I sarcastically (shocking, I know) poked fun at the idea of "liberal media bias" by showing two news articles that displayed, I thought at the time, conservative media bias. (N.B. My idea then seems to have been that pro-military patriotism = die-hard conservatism, which on reflection is probably about as oversimplified as the sorts of statements I was complaining about, but live and learn.)

ANYWAY, said (anonymous) commenter apparently took me for an actual die-hard conservative and left this charming note:
lol Fucking Conservatard. Jesus is rotting in the ground, bro.
This leads me to believe that he or she is:

(a) Too stupid to grasp basic sarcasm, and

(b) Too stupid to "engage" in political debate except through parroting offensive catchphrases that really have no bearing on what anyone else is actually saying.

Both of these things, of course, are endlessly depressing, and so I would like to offer the following few observations as a means of, well, not rebuttal exactly — but hopefully some sort of illumination.

First of all: "conservatard"? "Jesus is rotting in the ground"? "Bro"? What place do any of these words and phrases have in a political discussion that is both meaningful and civil (i.e. the only kind of political discussion that is actually able to produce positive results)? Answer: NONE. FFS.

Second of all: what exactly is the complaint, here? In the absence of anything actually addressing what I wrote, I am going to assume that the commenter's main problem is that people exist who hold and occasionally express differing opinions than him or her, which seems pretty ridiculous coming from someone who is presumably a self-identified "liberal".

Third of all: what exactly is the intended effect of this comment? That the allegedly conservative author of the blog post will suddenly say "Good grief! I've been wrong all these years!" and immediately vote for healthcare or whatever? Because, let me tell you, there is not a lot in that comment that would accomplish such a thing. Instead, it seems like the intention was to be unnecessarily offensive and to feel self-important — which the commenter may well have achieved, but only at the expense of looking like a douchebag and setting political discourse back another few years. (Though I suppose at this point, who's counting in years?)

In summary, I fucking loathe people like this and would like to reiterate what already I've said elsewhere: unless you have something intelligent to say, please sit on your hands and shut up and stop giving bloggers a bad name.

No comments:

Post a Comment