August 24, 2009

Speaking of Recycling Jokes...

I propose to turn this post into a list of all the movies/sitcoms that have used variations on the following (bad) joke:
PREGNANT WOMAN: My water broke!

HILARIOUSLY CLUELESS MAN: Don't worry, we'll get you another one.
This endeavour was conceived while watching Fresh Prince over lunch, so we'll go ahead and start with that one. But off the top of my head I can also (I'm ashamed to admit) add the Hugh Grant/Julianne Moore/Jeff Goldblum megahit Nine Months. IMDB also helpfully informs that Tina Fey's 2008 disappointment Baby Mama replaces HILARIOUSLY CLUELESS MAN with HILARIOUSLY CLUELESS WOMAN in what is essentially the same gag:
KATE: Your water broke!

[ANGIE looks at her cup, confused]
I'm sure I've seen it elsewhere, too, though — Friends? Home Improvement? Knocked Up? Help me out! Leave other sightings in the comments and I'll update the list accordingly. I bet we can get up to at least ten in no time at all...
1. The Fresh Prince of Bel Air ("A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum")

2. Nine Months

3. Baby Mama
Don't let me down, internets.

No comments:

Post a Comment