June 08, 2008

The Price of a Shave And a Haircut, and Misspelt Slang For Breasts

Does anyone else find it slightly giggleworthy that Germany defeated Poland in football today?

(I have a feeling I've made that joke on my blog before, but can't seem to find any evidence of it.)

--

Speaking of football, Friday night I had the fortunate distinction of getting to see the Brazil national soccer team playing live (enthusiastic, drunken, yellow-clad, amorous supporters, and all), and the slightly more dubious distinction of getting to see the Brazil national soccer team lose 2–0 (to Venezuela!). I then proceeded to have the decidedly unenviable experience (not a distinction, for reasons that will become clear in the next part of this sentence) of spending two hours waiting to get out of the stadium's parking lot, along with 54,000 other people.

--

Today I was visiting a Target in Abington, Massachusetts, and passed a church with the following written on its marquee-style sign outside:

SIGN BROKEN
PLEASE SEE INSIDE
FOR "MESSAGE"

Which if nothing else has a nicely haiku-ish feel to it.

--

I am currently reading the new novel Netherland by Joseph O'Neill. I was skeptical about its premise (a "phantasmagorical" book about cricket and September the 11th), but have been pleasantly surprised so far; it is book seven from my summer reading pile, and I think I would happily rank it in second place so far. That puts it behind Lolita, but ahead of High Fidelity, Falling Through the Earth (Danielle Trussoni), Out Stealing Horses (Per Petterson), Dancing To "Almendra" (Mayra Montero), and The Almost Moon (Alice Sebold), which was freaking terrible. Still to come are Delizia! (John Dickie), Crime and Punishment, The Omnivore's Dilemma (Michael Pollan), and The Twenty-Seventh City (Jonathan Franzen). I think that will take me comfortably to the end of August, but if anyone has any further recommendations, do let me know!

--

...I am still trying to make the "different ways of saying 'bits and bobs'" gag work, clearly. But I think this may be my last attempt.

1 comment:

T. Ruby said...

The latest novel I've been pleased with and would recommend is The Ministry of Special Cases by Nathan Englander.

Post a Comment