August 21, 2007

I Don't Know Whether To Laugh Or Deconstruct

If any of you are getting tired of me talking about Fringe shows, I would invite you to read this article from The List and become comparatively thankful that I don't, at least, write vaingloriously douchy cultural studies papers masquerading as reviews. A few of my favourite excerpts:
Dapper, diminutive Paul Foot may not bestride his narrow stage like a Colossus…

The paroxysms of enervation struggling to break through his fey, soft-spoken mien provide the first laughs of the night…

Suffused also with a subtle subtext of formidable bleakness, greatly enriching what is superficially a buoyant performance…
Dude, seriously, it's The List, not a thesaurus. You might be able to get away with reviewing theatre in the Times that way, but comedy in The List? It's absurd. People reading The List want to know if shows are funny, not if you got a First in English from Cambridge.

I will be contacting the Campaign for Plain English immediately.

1 comment:

Inchworm said...

lol hell yeah- talk about FLOWERY!

Post a Comment