April 24, 2007

Idol Pursuits

From Newsvine: Sanjaya: 'I'm Not Just a Musician'
NEW YORK — Sanjaya Malakar is so famous, he can't walk anywhere without getting noticed… [On] Monday on "Live With Regis and Kelly," [the 17-year-old "American Idol" cast-off said:] "It's really weird. I mean, I'm just Sanjaya from Seattle."
Malakar added, "I used to have a little, now I have a lot," explaining, "No matter where I go, I know where I came from (from Seattle!)." He also warned critics not to be fooled by the rocks that he has, a reference to his nationally renowned collection of geodes.

(Note to older readers: The above joke is a pop culture riff on the song "Jenny From The Block" by Jennifer Lopez. Lopez is a popular actress/musician who made her debut on Nineties sketch comedy show In Living Color.)
Malakar was voted off the Fox talent competition last week after a long and unlikely run in which he outlasted better singers and captivated millions of TV viewers with his goofy charm and ever-changing hairdos.
"Pffft," said Jim Carrey when reached for comment. "It's been done." Mr Carrey then descended into a string of meaningless but vaguely funny sound effects.

(Note to older readers: The above joke is a reference to the standard repertoire of Jim Carrey, who has also captivated millions with his goofy charm and ever-changing hairdos. Mr Carrey is a Canadian actor/comedian who made his debut on Nineties sketch comedy show In Living Color.)
On Saturday, he attended a White House correspondents' dinner in Washington as a guest of People magazine.

"It was really weird because the governor of New York came up to me and said, `I'm a fan, I vote,'" Malakar said.
Because the governor of New York was not at any point affiliated with the show In Living Color, I am unable to make a joke about him.

1 comment:

Ken said...

C'mon, the guy is named Spitzer and you got nothing? Nothing!?

Also, he just introduced a bill to legalize gay marriage, and he is a fan of Sanjay? Uh, uh? Nudge, nudge, wink, wink.

I think we understand ourselves.

Post a Comment