January 16, 2007

Conversations With Plagiarism

The McGill Sociology Students’ Association, bless ‘em, can’t seem to get me off their mailing list, and as a consequence I am still getting their newsletter in my inbox every so often. Imagine my shock upon opening it this month:



Now, I know imitation is the sincerest form of flattery and all that, but I’m not sure how I feel about this outrageous and unauthorised use of my idea. The first answer sounds a little stiff (putting ‘Engels’ in brackets? Ugh); and talk about preachy! “Try using an agenda and setting deadlines for yourself well ahead of the actual due dates”? Karl Marx is not a vehicle for propounding better study habits, dammit!

I do like the second answer, though – it really captures the tone that I like to give Marx, sort of obliviously full of himself. I particularly enjoy “Marx, Marxists and Marxism: A Survey”. It’s the “A Survey” part that really does it, I think. And the little dig at MUAR 211 at the end is a nice touch.

Also, why was there nobody called “Raphaelle LaFramboise” in the SSA while I was there? What an awesome name! If she is also the one who now writes Dear Marx, I think I may have found my wife. I will gladly be Mr Andrew LaFramboise.

Hey, anybody with an understanding of intellectual property law: would I ever be able to actually stop anyone from using “my” characters? I mean, I can’t exactly copyright a historical figure, can I? I guess I’ll just have to keep my fingers crossed that nobody else ever wants to write a comic strip in which Marx and Engels bicker with each other. That’s probably pretty likely, eh?

4 comments:

Adrienne said...

She's in one of my classes. She's pretty darn good looking too. Although considering the class is gender, deviance, and social control maybe I shouldn't be commenting on her physical appearance. I should be making sure that she's okay with her gender status and then ask if she wants to be a girl or something. But I think she said she does. So, good luck and god speed Andrew.

Andrew said...

If you don't get an A in that class it will be a crime.

Next time you see her, will you ask her how she feels about sensitive pseudo-Scots with a taste for witty t-shirts and a complete lack of tact?

vinny said...

You have a taste for a complete lack of tact?

Andrew said...

Isn't that obvious?

Post a Comment