November 16, 2006

Middle Yeast

From BBC NEWS | Middle East: Seven dead in Iraq bakery attack
In continuing violence, gunmen killed nine people in an ambush on a bakery in the east of the capital.
I think any attack on a bakery is kind of a de facto ambush, given how much most people would expect a bakery to be the target of sectarian violence.
The attack left pools of blood on the floor as people tried to flee in panic.

"The gunmen stormed into the bakery and killed workers while they were baking. They had done nothing bad," the Associated Press news agency quoted an unnamed man outside the store as saying.
"Nothing bad at all," the man continued. "It was totally kneadless violence." Realising the insensitive double entendre he had just made, the man quickly remarked, "Dough!" Then, with a sheepish grin, he shrugged his shoulders and added, "I guess I'm really on a roll, here."

Yup, I went there.

4 comments:

Ken said...

The majority of Baghdad's bakers are Shiites, even in Sunni areas, because the wages are low. This puts them among the small number of workers still crossing the sectarian divides that have formed in the city. It is for this reason that bakers have often been the target of such brutal, public killings.

You have only touched the crust of the issue; writing about pain is always a fine-grained topic in which the narrative can be sliced many ways. I am glad to see you are not aloaf to human suffering, that you can still rise to the occasion. Really, it was the yeast you could do.

Anonymous said...

Going. To. Hell. The both of you.

Andrew said...

I think what you mean, Alice, is that we don't have a crumb of decency between the two of us.

Mariana said...

Reading the comments on your blog is almost as much fun as reading your blog.

I haven't yet responded to your e-mail, btw, because I've been in a bad mood for the past 2 weeks and I didn't want to write and say "everything sucks what the hell am I doing with my life".

Post a Comment