November 23, 2006

Jack The Ripa

More on the tumultuous Ripa-Aiken-Fisting affair, from Newsvine: Walters: O’Donnell - Ripa Feud Is Over

I would like to make it clear that I was not so fascinated by this story that I decided to go looking for more information on it. Rather, it clawed its unwelcome way back into my already sobbing consciousness by appearing on my AP news feed, of all places.
NEW YORK — Barbara Walters said Wednesday all is now "well with the world" following a flare-up earlier this week between Rosie O'Donnell and Kelly Ripa on "The View." Ripa called in to the ABC daytime talk show after co-host O'Donnell accused her of making a homophobic comment to Clay Aiken, a guest host on "Live With Regis and Kelly.” . . .

O'Donnell said Tuesday on "The View": "If that was a straight man, if that was a cute man, if that was a guy that she didn't question his sexuality, she would have said a different thing."
Like what?! “Oh, you! Run your fingers all around the inside of my mouth, you deliciously straight man who I don’t know very well! I don’t care what anyone says, I’m going to use my tongue to caress the manly creases of this hand, right here on national television! What the—? Don’t fucking touch me, Philbin.”

Ripa denies her remark was meant to be homophobic:
"He's shaking hands with everybody in the audience. I mean, it's cold and flu season. That's what I meant," she said . . .

"I understand cold and flu season," O'Donnell replied. "I'm just saying from where I sit as a gay person in the world, I have to tell you, that's how it came off to me."
O’Donnell sits on the board of The Association of Vaguely Outraged Celebrities. Its other members include Jason Alexander, Patricia Heaton and Lewis Black, and its meetings are always hilarious.

I’m not really going to comment on Ripa’s alleged homophobia except to say that even if she was alluding to a sex act, there is nothing particularly homophobic about doing so. I mean — what the hell? — like if Aiken had had his hand up a vagina all day then Ripa would have been fine with having it rubbed in her face? It’s only homophobic if you’re a moron who believes that it makes you a bigot to imply a gay person has a sex life.

Also, does anyone else appreciate the captivatingly vapid symmetry in the fact that the cast of The View watches Regis and Kelly, and the cast of Regis and Kelly watches The View?

5 comments:

alice said...

I agree with you, but I did feel a little bit like she was implying "You're gay, don't touch me". Especially because she totally made a fisting hand gesture after she said it.

I also kind of liked what the Star Jones knock-off said--he never would have done that to Regis! Of course, I wouldn't touch Regis either, but still.

Anonymous said...

Did you change something in your RSS feed recently?

Change it back to include the full contents please.

Andrew said...

Feed should be working again now. Not really sure what happened to it.

--

A propos of Kelly Ripa (what isn't, really?), I had the following, horrifyingly offensive conversation this evening with some girls from my high school:

Them: Boys are just so homophobic sometimes.
Me: Um, I think what you mean is that people are just so homophobic sometimes.
Them: [thoughtfully] No... I mean, I don't think a girl would ever be homophobic. Like, my friend Rebecca, she's not homophobic at all. I mean, she has said that the first thing she always thinks when she finds out someone is gay is, "Oh, what a shame," but she's not homophobic, like, she's totally fine around gays. Not like boys.
Me [internal monologue]: Okay, I can't have this conversation anymore.
Me [outwardly]: [raises eyebrow]

Holy Bejesus, how can people say these things and not realise how retardedly hypocritical they're being?

vinny said...

Me [internal monologue]: Okay, I can't have this conversation anymore.

This will only happen more frequently as you get older...

Malathi said...

Great thoughts you got there, believe I may possibly try just some of it throughout my daily life.


Hand Tools

Post a Comment